The Resort at Pedregal
Offers the Ultimate in Luxury and Exploration for Guests with Adventurous Spirit
By Sylvia Mendoza | Photos by Nina Dietzel
A luxurious resort stay in Baja may not be enough for discerning jetsetters with bold bucket lists and an adventurous spirit. For them, the AAA five-diamond The Resort at Pedregal might be the answer. It offers the ultimate in curated travel with the debut of its distinctive “Beyond the Beach: Baja Luxploration” program.
From swimming with whale sharks and snorkeling with sea lions to surfing coveted breaks, on private yachts and with personal tour guides, the elite destination makes the most of the beauty of Baja and offers six new itineraries to guests who seek a different adventure. “Baja is heaven on earth when it comes to exploring, and we’re situated at the heart of it all,” says General Manager Fernando Flores. “These itineraries provide guest experiences that not only push the boundaries, but educate; in 2017, modern-day, sophisticated travelers are seeking both.”
The Resort at Pedregal lies on Cabo San Lucas’ most coveted, extraordinary, 24-acre site at the southernmost tip of Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula. The exclusive haven, accessible only by the private Dos Mares tunnel, is just minutes from bustling downtown Cabo San Lucas—yet it is a world away. Its signature spa, Luna y Mar, is just a taste of unprecedented luxury and sophistication. Personalized service from a team of Personal Concierges is available around-the-clock to assist guests.
The “Beyond the Beach: Baja Luxploration” program stems from that attention to detail and guest satisfaction. The unique itineraries include high-level culinary menus to post-journey pampering. They reveal the magical spontaneity of Baja’s diverse landscape, from a volcanic island where sea lions frolic to rugged mountain terrain dotted with secret swimming holes. Naturalists, adventurers, farmers and artisans lend their know-how and personal narrative, adding substance to each of the six adventures. They include:
- Exploring the Espiritu Santo Island. From aboard a private yacht, the outing navigates the dramatic volcanic terrain, secret coves and white sand beaches of the UNESCO-protected archipelago, referred to as “The Galapagos of North America.” Savor fresh ceviche and guacamole while manta rays skim across the water and frigate birds circle above. The real treat, however, is the day’s Los Islotas destination, where one can snorkel and play alongside sea lions. On the return trip, sip champagne as the sun sets over Balandra Bay with sailboats and paddle boarders silhouetted against tangerine skies.
- Off the calm bay shores of La Paz, the thrilling underwater adventure lies in wait with Bucket List: Swim with Whale Sharks. Nobody knows the kingdom of the world’s largest known fish species better than our captains, who precisely navigate panga motorboats through crystal clear waters to spot the distinctive white-polka dot gentle giants. Growing up to 40-feet in length with mouths up to five-feet wide, the initial instinct is to flee but with expert guides snorkeling alongside, prepare for an enthralling, hypnotic expedition.
- Going backcountry has never been so bold or beautiful than with the Secrets of Baja’s Sierra, discovering a fairytale landscape in chauffeured 4×4 jeeps. Outside the tiny town of Santiago lies an enchanted wonderland where guests are guided on hikes through lush flora, granite hidden waterfalls, swimming holes and hot springs. The recharge: local legend Doña Luz will demonstrate tortilla-making for endless quesadillas with Rancho El Refugio ecological reserve as the rustic backdrop.
- Both the East Cape and Cerritos are a paradise for A-list wave riders around the world, and Baja Sur’s Surfing Playground is a peek into the beautiful beaches, bays, coves and cliffs. Whether learning to “pop up” in a beginner lesson at the sandy-bottomed breaks of Los Cerritos or practicing cutbacks on the speedy, right reef break of Zippers, local pros will tailor trips with additional activities like snorkeling and stand up paddle boarding.
- For the “Ocean Miracle” of Cabo Pulmo Marine Park, dive into the dazzling turquoise coves where ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau once famously proclaimed Baja’s Sea of Cortez as “the world’s aquarium.” Bilingual naturalists lead snorkeling and SUP excursions through living coral reefs teeming with vibrant swarming schools of yellow pork fish and sun bathing colonies of sea lions. An international treasure, the UNESCO protected Cabo Pulmo Marine Park is heralded as a marine conservation success story.
- The Sunrise Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) at Baja Peninsula’s iconic Land’s End, where the dramatic rock formations jut out to forge “El Arco” is picture-perfect. The natural arch, with a story steeped in romance and local lore, is where the turbulent Pacific Ocean meets the tranquil Sea of Cortez. The stage is set for an ultimate private paradise with a brunch picnic.
The “Beyond the Beach: Baja Luxploration” program at the Resort at Pedregal can help check off adventures on bucket lists – or simply offer a vacation of a lifetime. For more information, visit TheResortAtPedregal.com.